(urth) Pirate Freedom and the Morals Of Gene Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Mar 19 05:18:19 PDT 2009

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Jerry Friedman
> <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know how Aquinas and others reconciled that with
>> Jesus's teachings, but apparently they did.
>
> It is lawful to use violence to protect one's goods and chastity. Jesus
> never said it wasn't. However, Jesus called men to a higher standard
> than the Law: He called them to moral perfection, and that means not
> resisting the evildoer.

I'm not sure that follows. It might be a fine literal distinction below
the level of resolution of the translation, but "not resisting" and "not
restraining" are different concepts morally.  "not restraining the
evildoer" implies don't presume to judge the rightness of other people's
business, leave enforcement of man's law to Caesar and the other
temporal authorities. I believe "resisting the evildoer" in the sense of
  protecting yourself and your dependents against other people is
scripturally supported by turning the other cheek to avoid a retribution
spiral, and by the millstone verse that overtly says extreme measures
are preferable to submission when protecting your children.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >