(urth) Hut in the Jungle

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 22:44:44 PDT 2009

--- On Wed, 3/18/09, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:
> >From: Jerry Friedman [mailto:jerry_friedman at yahoo.com]
> >--- On Wed, 3/18/09, Son of Witz

> >> I am.
> >> it seems abundantly clear, and even GW's translator
> >> note says as much.
> >> I dismiss outright the suggestion that GW may not
> = Gene Wolfe.
> >
> >I should remind you of this quotation from James
> Jordan's
> >interview with that same person, whoever he is (or
> >maybe I shouldn't, because I'd like to forget it):
> >
> >"JJ: This universe that you set in Briah, or part
> of it--is that our universe? Or is that a universe that
> resurrected saints have set up in the world to come as part
> of the cities that they made?
> >
> >"GW: No. I thought of it as a long past universe.
> Something that we are repeating rather than something that
> we are."
> >
> >http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2tmhh/wolfejbj.html
> >
> >How "the era's few extant buildings" fits
> >into that I can't imagine.

> That's interesting.
> the enchantment idea actually works pretty well, though it
> can't account for the plan.

What plan?

> and Long Past works pretty much just as well for me.

But I also can't fit the Long Past picture in with "a
tongue that has not yet achieved existence" or "yet
undiscovered concepts".  Could this mean that we
haven't yet reached the time in our universe that
corresponds with Severian's time in his earlier
universe?

On the subject of one time influencing an earlier time,
I think Christian thinkers have said or speculated that
the Incarnation had consequences in its past.  And it's
no harder, possibly easier to accept than time travel.

Jerry Friedman