(urth) Hut in the Jungle

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Mar 18 15:41:09 PDT 2009

That scene is disorienting, isn't it? I completely overlooked it during the various X discussions. Yes, this is our world and our past.

My guess is that Wolfe is partly just telling/reminding us that his story is a play enacted on a stage. The intrusion indicates a relationship between worlds. Our lives are real; Severian's is shadow-play. It's a clue that the NS is not the OTC, in other words.

BTW, the woman is reading from Deuteronomy 34:1. No version I know.

Message: 6