(urth) An Actual Wolfe Question

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:30:26 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:

>>Don't forget Pynchon!
>
> I've been needing the push to actually get past pg 300 of Gravity's Rainbow.
> tried three times, never got further.
> is there a reason to care within all that psychedelic listing of detail?
> I love the way Burroughs will ramble on a jag, he's always entertaining or perverse. With Pynchon I kept wondering why I should even care.
> hurm...
> ~witz

I haven't read GR; the only Pynchon books I've read are The Crying of
Lot 49 and Against the Day (which is actually a lot longer than GR). I
think you might enjoy Lot 49 - it's less than two hundred pages,
there's not nearly as much detail, and there are several scenes that
made me laugh out loud.

There's also one scene in Against the Day that had me laughing for
about five minutes on end, though it was a variation on one of
Pynchon's kinky sex scenes, so YMMV. I think people who have read AtD
may know the scene I refer to?

-Matt