(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Tue Mar 17 22:10:01 PDT 2009

> That argument can only really hold water when it comes to the U.S.,
> though, and there has been disarmament in a number of other countries that
> I think would be difficult to attribute to racism.

But easy to attribute to Fear Of The Lower Orders, or the Southerners (in
Italy).

> It surprises me that nobody has brought up the urban/rural divide on the
> gun issue. I think there are definite, pragmatic reasons why city-dwellers
> all over seem to be in favor of gun control in greater proportions than
> their rural counterparts.

No there aren't. Washington DC has 400,000 people. Tucson AZ has 400,000
people. Tucson AZ has, like, twenty, thirty murders a year. There is a
thriving drug trade in both cities, a minority majority in both cities,
and Tucson has also *huge* amounts of illegal humans coming through as
well as guys who will come up the fifty miles from Mexico to steal cars to
order.

>                                 And personally I don't think it would be
> unreasonable to accommodate both parties by limiting those who can carry
> firearms in dense urban areas while leaving the rural areas alone.

This would make sense if the murder rate in Tucson was higher than it is
in DC.

I don't see anything wrong with requiring a permit to carry a concealed
weapon, as long as the issuing authority cannot refuse to issue save for
cause. I note that in Tucson there is no concept of legal concealed carry
except for cops (or there didn't use to be): your weapon must be exposed
to public view. When I drove the taxi there, I would put a clip-on sheath
into my left pants pocket (southpaw) and leave a half-inch of the grip
poking out to satisfy the legal requirement.

.