(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Tue Mar 17 17:48:56 PDT 2009

> On Mar 17, 2009, at 10:24 AM, John Watkins wrote:
>
>>  The proper balancing of those two might vary from state to state
>> (or within metropolitan areas) depending on the needs of the
>> populace, but always within those obvious boundaries.

> I'm with you on this.  Not too many folk realize that most small
> towns in the 'wild west', the ones all those tv shows were modeled
> on, required the temporary confiscation of weaponry upon entering the
> city limits.  You got your guns back when you rode on out.

Cite. I know of one instance where this happened, in Tombstone AZ, where
it was pretty blatantly enforced against one of the factions vying for
control of the town, and was directly tied to an huge surge in the murder
rate. What other examples do you have? I don't necessarily dispute that
there were some, but I'd like to see some evidence.

Clint Eastwood gives an interesting example of a town with gun control in
his great movie 'The Unforgiven', which really everyone should see. If you
have not seen it, run don't walk.

.