(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Tue Mar 17 11:43:47 PDT 2009

On Tue Mar 17 9:31 , crushtv at gmail.com sent:

>> I'm having trouble coming up with examples from Wolfe's  stories which relate
directly or indirectly to the 2nd Amendment or to  the inherent virtues of weapon
ownership.
[snip]
>> (Maybe this is a Long Sun thing I will see when I read those?)

>This is positively so.  I don't want offers spoilers, so I'll just say meet here
after you read Exodus from the Long Sun.

Okay, thank you James. I'll look for that when I get there.

On Tue Mar 17 10:08 , brunians at brunians.org sent:

>You are surely not as familiar with Wolfe's work as many of us, to the
>extent that you are saying silly, obviously wrong things. I'd advise you
>to go read the parts you haven't read and then come back: you can revive
>the discussion if it is not still going on.

I tried to bring up specific references to the text, which I think is the best
starting place to discuss someone's work. If you think I'm wrong, can you return
the favor? The setting of an enclosed colony ship and what happens after it lands
do seem rife with consequences of personal arms and disarmament. But you've said
"prominently in almost every story," and I don't see that.

If you'd rather just talk about gun politics with little reference to Gene
Wolfe's writing, maybe you should say so.