(urth) Alan Moore

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Mar 17 03:11:52 PDT 2009

Allan Anderson wrote:
> What do you mean about the militias? I'm not sure I get that.

The entire "a government should be afraid of its people" idea, where the
people should be armed and ready to take back control of their country
when the government oversteps its bounds and becomes a burden more than
a benefit.
Our current militia movement takes justification in the @nd Amendment to
the US constitution as statements of the founding fathers like Thomas
Jefferson:
     * I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good
thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.
           o Letter to James Madison (January 30, 1787); referring to
Shays' Rebellion Lipscomb & Bergh ed. 6:65

     * God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a
rebellion.... What country before ever existed a century and half
without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if
their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve
the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them
right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to
time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.
Letter to William Stevens Smith (November 13, 1787), quoted in Padover's
Jefferson On Democracy

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >