(urth) Sheath / Guard

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Mar 16 21:17:45 PDT 2009

Son of Witz wrote:
> RE: Terminus Est,
>
> "Her sheath covered most of her guard"
>
> ok, help, please:
> Not being very well versed in Swords, I've never heard of a sheath covering the guard. I thought they all stop short and fit snug against the guard.
> The Guard is the Quillions, right? or not?
> How would a sheath cover the quillions?  He describes T.E. as a Dark Cross at some point, so the non-quillion, non cross-like T.E. illustrations are plain wrong (see Graphic Novel).  I suppose this sheath just widen, or change shape at the guard?  hurm...

A sheath can have extra bits to protect the weapon from tarnish and the
elements, esp if it isn't drawn that often. Similar to the way military
style pistol holsters have a wide flap over the top that snaps down,
almost completely covering the weapon.

http://armysurplus1.net/catalog/images/AMS200.jpg

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >