(urth) Seawrack's Name

Jordon Flato jordonflato at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:26:01 PDT 2009

Hmmmm.   I can't really get on board any of that.  Although I can understand
wanting to figure it out, as rarely is something laid before us like that
without some purposful reasonance.

I assumed the word was in a language completely unfamiliar, and non-human.
Seawrack being a bridge of sorts between to worlds, that of the mother and
that of humanity.  She is being passed from the mother, the non-human world,
where she had a non-human name, into the world of humanity, where she has to
have a human name.

Why would she have a name of the language of men?  I can't imagine Horn
having a hard time saying any of the words people have said here.  He
'pronounces' an awfuly lot of complicated nomenclature throughout his tale,
so Serineia or other others don't strike me as holding any special
difficulty.

An alien word though, in a tongue not related to the world of man, that
would be tough.  That also has resonance for me.  Mirrors the false mother
the Mother creates to speak to Horn.  It has to approximate humanity to
interact with Horn, and Horn has to 'approximate' Seawracks name to relate
to Seawrack.