(urth) PEACE: the source story

Christopher Keiser slowalrus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 16:45:57 PDT 2009

Hello there Urth.net, long time lurker, first time poster.

I am suffering, at the moment, a specific mental ailment, Eireneomania.

During my third consecutive read, an allusion that had been nibbling
away in my brain finally chewed its way free.

"An Inhabitant of Carcosa", by Ambrose Bierce, is the the source story
for _PEACE_.

http://www.ambrosebierce.org/carcosa.html

In interviews, Gene Wolfe always points to one or another story as the
root source of his story, the seed of the idea.

Never would I say anything is 100% with Wolfe, but, I will say it now:
this story is the seed of  _PEACE_.

I believe this will also support the theory that Weer is dead, though
I am not sure anyone at this point believed otherwise.  My favorite
interpretation of _PEACE_  places Weer's ghost in the far future,
after the fall of our civilization. "An Inhabitant of Carcosa" would
support that hypotheses.

I hope this is not a repeat of something previously posted to Urth. I
did a search on Urth, and the Internet in general, and found nothing
similar.

Have a read, any feedback would be appreciated.  Please tell me I am not crazy.

Thanks,
Chris Keiser