(urth) Tang and Napoleon

Christopher Keiser slowalrus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 08:13:41 PDT 2009

Well there are lots of theories, I remember something about Napolean
having Klinefelter's syndrome and increased breast development was
causing his nipples to run against his coat.  However, the truth of
the matter is less interesting:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/faq/c_hand.html

The hand in coat pose was just an artistic trope of the day.

But the question is: how is Wolfe using it?  Several people, including
me, have read through Ludwig, and find nothing about the pose, or,
truly anything that would "invariably offend."

This could point to several uses.

1. Wolfe misread (or didn't read) Ludwig, and just cited the biography
due to its popularity in that time period.  If so, the reader would
have to read Wolfe's mind to see which popular 'hand in coat pose'
theory he was using in the novel.

2. The discussion of the Dresden Napoleon figure is a red-herring.
The importance lies not in Napoleon's pose, but, describes the reason
Den never tells the whole truth, as he has learned that the whole
truth "invariably offends."

3. Most of us agree that the figure represents Smart.  Maybe Den is
pulling a Borges, and citing a source, but making up his own story.
If so, I think the reason for the pose is hidden in the story itself.

Or, all the above, or, none ;-)