(urth) Tang and Napoleon

Christopher Keiser slowalrus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 10:58:40 PDT 2009

Ahh .. I see someone else is having as much fun with PEACE as I am.

This is brilliant, I never thought to search the roots of the story in
Chinese history. My reading list has now doubled. Maybe the story, the
crimes and the missing pieces can be found in a retelling of a story
from the Tang Dynasty.

One thing I noted previously while reading the history of the Tang
Dynasty was that the capital of the Tang Dynasty was Chang'an,
literally translated as "Perpetual Peace".  After the fall of the Tang
Dynasty, the city was renamed Xi'an, "Western Peace."

Also, something not mentioned before was that Macafee's name means
"Black Peace."

Another new (I believe) etymology: Margaret = pearl; Lorn = lost.
Lost Pearl.  Much more to be said about that.

I read through Ludwig's Napolean biography also, and agree that there
is nothing there about the 'hand in the coat."  A story recounted by
the author, however, tells of Napolean wooing Marie by stating that he
will put his hand under his coat and over his heart as a message of
love.  Not sure if that means anything.

In the end I went with the theory that this is a Borges-like
technique.  Wolfe lists the sources, but takes from them as he will.
I believe the offensive aspect of Den's Napolean factoid is hidden in
PEACE, not Ludwig.

Also, I am of two minds about my research regarding the quote from the
false Necronomicon wherein the writer's spirit guide leans in between
the moon and the dog star.  I took it as an astronomical question at
first, but, due to the physics of it, many stars can appear between
the Moon and the dog star (one of which is Canus Minor .. maybe?).

After thinking about it, could this be a pun?  One who leans in
between the moon and the dog star?  A name for the dog star is Sirius.
 Someone between seriousness (sirius-ness) and lunacy?  The author
himself? Maybe not ;-)

Thanks,