(urth) The Devil in a Forest

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 22:25:39 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I really the only person on this list who's read this book? Really?

Hey James!  I like this book quite a lot.

As I said a while ago on this list, the thing that sticks with me most is
the way Wat manipulates the villagers, dividing them into smaller and
smaller factions, promising them less and less for deeds that are more and
more evil.   I think Wolfe is more interested in that sort of exploration of
the nature of evil than he is in making some sort of political statement.

Like in the Soldier books, Wolfe has these little details that really make
me feel like I'm getting a ground-view glimpse of medieval peasant life that
I don't get from a lot of fantasy.  Little things like Mark brushing his
teeth with a twig.

Rostrum