(urth) OT: split infinitive

Matthew King automatthew at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 09:05:45 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:43 AM, James Wynn<crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> If someone could do a full search of some of his works for the word "to"

I somehow came by a few of his works in text form.  Let's see what
regular expressions can do.  I'll just search for "to " followed by
any word ending in "ly".

$ ls *.txt
Death of Dr Island by Gene Wolfe.txt
Wolfe, Gene - Exodus From the Long Sun - Book 4.txt
Island of Dr Death by Gene Wolfe.txt
Wolfe, Gene - Nightside The Long Sun.txt
Seven American Nights by Gene Wolfe.txt
Wolfe, Gene - The Claw of the Conciliator.txt
Wolfe, Gene - Book of the New Sun 1 - Shadow of the Torturer.txt
Wolfe, Gene - The Urth Of The New Sun.txt
Wolfe, Gene - Calde of the Long Sun - Book 3.txt
Wolfe, Gene - Urth of the New Sun, The.txt

$ egrep -o 'to [[:alnum:]]+ly ' ./*.txt
./Seven American Nights by Gene Wolfe.txt:to graphically
./Seven American Nights by Gene Wolfe.txt:to fly
./Wolfe, Gene - Nightside The Long Sun.txt:to apply
./Wolfe, Gene - Nightside The Long Sun.txt:to fly
./Wolfe, Gene - Nightside The Long Sun.txt:to fly
./Wolfe, Gene - The Claw of the Conciliator.txt:to rely
./Wolfe, Gene - The Claw of the Conciliator.txt:to fly
./Wolfe, Gene - The Claw of the Conciliator.txt:to ply
./Wolfe, Gene - The Claw of the Conciliator.txt:to fly
./Wolfe, Gene - The Urth Of The New Sun.txt:to fully

Results:  one instance each of "to graphically" and "to fully"

The documents were obviously OCRed, so textual corruptions may have
put some split infinitives beyond the reach of a simple search.