(urth) OT: split infinitive [was Re: torturing BTQ]

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Thu Jul 30 18:01:19 PDT 2009

I think the functional questions are 1) does using a split infinitive allow more
rhetorical oomph, and if so, 2) will the elegance and flash it affords
sufficiently dazzle all but the most hardened grammarians?

or,

Will the reader be distracted from your point by the nagging worry that you've
violated some possibly valid rule?

On Thu Jul 30 17:24 , Jerry Friedman  sent: