(urth) Severian's memory

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jul 24 18:05:09 PDT 2009

Craig Brewer wrote:
> I also find it strange that he loses his way in the Corridors of
> Time. It happens so early that it seems like another flag that even
> his memory of immediate events is far from perfect.

I'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt there, as the corridors
extend back through time and dimension, so that three lefts may not make
  a right.

Severian further admits he doesn't remember what he does not perceive on
the first page of chapter 27 in SWORD. "[...]I have forgotten much of
that, because I was so exhausted that I moved as though in sleep." In
his first encounter with higher dimensions, he may not have sen
everything about his surrounding, he may not have been able to correctly
interpret his propriceptor sense as put on foot in direction gamma from
the other, and it may have even made him a bit ill and internally
distracted.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >