(urth) Wolfe at Readercon

Milton Jackson miltonwjackson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:24:10 PDT 2009

I'll tell you no such thing. You'll have to read the book to determine what
you think of what Wolfe does with Latro. One thing any Wolfe fan should know
is that Wolfe rarely gives a traditional resolution to his works. They are
often openended and incomplete in ways that would damage other authors'
reputations though. Wolfe is a writer who rewards both perception and
repeated delving into his worlds by his readers. If you expect the Latro
sequence to go from A to Z, then you're reading the wrong books. If you
expect a more Citizen Kane-style mode of storytelling filled with lacunae,
subtle hints, and endings that leave a sense of wonder rather than
completion, then you're definitely reading the right books. Others may
disagree with me, but my perception of Soldier of Sidon is that it
effectively brings the sequence to the closest thing to closure it needs.
Anything else, to me--unless superbly done (something Wolfe is quite capable
of)--would be meaningless windowdressing.