(urth) Silk corrupted?

Steve McCann steve2mccann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 11:05:04 PST 2009

The recent discussion of Silk (as translated by Horn) reminds me of a
question I've always had about book 4 of the Long Sun. As preface to the
question, I was intrigued by Wolfe's talking about Severian being an aspect
of the Outsider, but not a Christ as much as a Christian (Christ being a man
not corrupted.) Was Silk currupted by Typhon?

One thing that's always bothered me is in the trip to Mainframe, Horn's
retelling of Silk seems to grow more and more distant until at the end of
the book I'm not really sure what Silk is thinking from the narrative.
Specifically why does Silk nearly throw himself from the blimp? I've always
thought that at Mainframe Silk came to realize the presence of Typhon in
him, and that makes him suicidal. Not to include a spoiler from the short
sun series, but the trip to mainframe seems to be a turning point for Silk
which eventually leads him to being the hollowed out shell of the BotSS. Am
I off base with this?
-s