(urth) Ansible Interview

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Jan 21 13:50:02 PST 2009

I have been browsing the Ansible interview, and I notice what seems to
be a simple, incontrovertible error on Wolfe's part:

8. /How is Silk able to see these valleys filled with shadows [in the
skylands at night, at the opening of chapter 4, book 1] if the Whorl is
a cylinder with the long sun running approximately down the centre?/ --
This one throws me completely. Where is the difficulty, unless all the
valleys run parallel to the Long Sun? Naturally they don't. [DRL: I see
a Wolfean trap here. The groundlings' references to the 'shade' of night
strongly suggest a literal revolving shade around the sun. But there are
later indications that night involves some sort of dark stuff sent in
pulses along the axis to mask a certain length of the Long Sun.]

Thing is, the Whorl is the interior surface of a cylinder. Therefore,
"up" is always toward the center.

Since the LS runs along the center from end to end, you can treat the
issue of shadows with only 2 dimensions. It won't matter whether the
valleys run along the Sun or the other way. Only if they are tilted or
overhanging will they cast shadows.

Anyway, as Langford notes, there is a shade of some kind always blocking
one side of the Sun.

So we should not assume Wolfe to be perfect in his physics. ;)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090121-0, 01/21/2009
Tested on: 1/21/2009 4:50:03 PM