(urth) Ansible Interview

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:50:12 PST 2009

>Matthew Groves wrote:
>>> But the point regarding shadows is that it's always
>>> noon under the long sun, and so there wouldn't be any "valleys filled
>>> with shadow."

>> I wrote
>> Unless they are always filled with shadow, right?
>> I'm just north of the 30th parallel. If it were noon on the summer
>> solstice right now, I would cast a shadow.

> Jeff Wilson
> You're outside of a planet, not inside a spinning asteroid.

So? Same difference. If the ground slopes non-perpendicular to the central
light, object perpendicular to the ground will cast shadows. If a mountain
is not perpendicular to the central light (remember that these mountains
were not shaped by rain and geology) it could constantly overshadow an
adjacent valley.