(urth) Silk corrupted?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Jan 22 15:45:27 PST 2009

These are 2 separate ideas: (1)

What is key here is that we are interpreting a work by a writer who
takes the position that Jesus was a unique historical figure, the sole
Theoanthropos and Redeemer, an event which will not and *can* not
be repeated. This is *Wolfe's* position,

and

(2)

to interpret his work in a way that violates this position is to do that
work a violence which I cannot condone.

_I_ do not _accept_ Wolfe's position. I _acknowledge_ Wolfe's position. This is my point.

And it hardly does violence to anything except certain people's
assumptions---which I reject _as assumptions_. Especially assumptions to
be forced on the debate as though they were _facts_. Do you see the
difference? ------------------------------ Message: 4 Date: Thu, 22 Jan
2009 14:46:43 -0800 From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com>
<urth at lists.urth.net> Message-ID:
<1f7617370901221446w63e7c28fte150751748d1a90d at mail.gmail.com>
2:40 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:

> > I concede, of course, that the Bible takes precedence as a literary work in
> > both stature and history, so Severian and Jesus can never really be
> > coequals. But please let's dispense with the notion---the assumption---that
> > there can only be a single Christ in all of human literature. It's an
> > indefensible position.

Agreed. Writers are free to create as many Christs as they choose, and
to make them theoanthropoi, divine, etc.

What is key here is that we are interpreting a work by a writer who
takes the position that Jesus was a unique historical figure, the sole
Theoanthropos and Redeemer, an event which will not and *can* not
be repeated. This is *Wolfe's* position, and to interpret his work in
a way that violates this position is to do that work a violence which
I cannot condone.

-- Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant -----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com I once absend-mindedly ordered Three Mile
Island dressing in a restaurant and, with great presence of mind, they
brought Thousand Island Dressing and a bottle of chili sauce. -- T.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090122-0, 01/22/2009
Tested on: 1/22/2009 6:45:28 PM