(urth) Short Sun Hiero-folk

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 13:05:04 PST 2009

Thanks for pointing to this! I can't believe I've never read it before -- I've looked at Wynn's site a number of times and always overlooked that link.

But the potential that Green is Urth starts to address an issue that's been bothering me: Where are the Hiero-folk (or Yesod in general) in Long/Short Sun? We had this huge cosmic conspiracy in New Sun that turned out to be the "real" story behind the surface narrative. But that "real" story apparently even disappears in the subtext of the sequel series.

However...given that the whole point of Yesod/Hiero-folk is to further human evolution for their own purposes, perhaps we actually are seeing evolution happen in what occurs with the Neighbor/inhumi/human evolution interactions on Blue/Green. I haven't worked out the details yet, but this idea at least ties the series together more tightly than I've felt that they were in the past.

I still wonder, however, if the Outsider is the same "God" that the Hiero-folk call the Increate. I know all the general signs would suggest that they are (one true creator god, etc.), but I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the Hiero's "God" wasn't the real deal.