(urth) Long Sun Laughs

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 07:57:40 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>wrote:

> just reread it. it's not oblique. the monitor changed course.
> but I don't think that alone is enough to deny that Quetzal might have been
> trying to send them to the Inumu (inhumi).

Me either.  I do think it throws it into doubt, though.  Quetzal was either
a sort of false prophet luring people to their deaths or a vampire who came
to love the people he cared for--I'm still not sure which, or that Wolfe
wants it to be clear.

> How would he know he would die and be overruled by a servant? call it a
> lack of shrewdness on his deathbed.

His corpse was hideous.  People were freaking out about it.  If he knew
that, he wouldn't assume the monitor would overrule his decision--he'd
assume that EVERYONE would collectively realize that doing what he asked was
a Very Bad Idea.  The surprising part, to him, might have been Remora
talking the others into trusting Quetzal anyway.