(urth) AEG: Margaret

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sun Jan 18 01:51:03 PST 2009

> My impression from this scene was that the man leading the wolf on a 'ludicrously thin leash' (I'm paraphrasing as I don't have the book with me) was the human element of the werewolf, and that Cassie was seeing through the werewolf's 'charm', or whatever. Presumably the other diners just saw a man walk up to Scott, but Cassie can somehow see the true dual nature of the werewolf, perhaps because she has been 'raised up' herself.
>
> If this is the case, then surely she'd also be able to identify other werewolfs, i.e. Margaret, if indeed she were one (heh, heh).

No, Ebony said "A woman tried to pet it. Did you see that?" (p. 190).
The petting woman must have seen a wolf or dog, and so did Ebony. Cassie
didn't see anything different than the others.

The werewolf was smart enough to carry out Wally's orders by himself. He
was to come in, tell Scott he was wolf food, and lead him out. The other
man with the thin leash was window dressing. A huge wolf coming into a
restaurant by itself would cause a panic. The leash would allow people
to tell themselves "Oh, it's just a dog."

> I thought that this was an interesting quote, given the alchemy theme in AEG; the philosopher’s stone is often referred to in medieval alchemical tracts as "the pearl of great price".

And in the Matthew context, the Pearl is the Gospel.