(urth) Gideon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Fri Jan 16 10:01:20 PST 2009

John Watkins wrote:

> I think that the "or" is what we should be looking at--Cassie was
>
> clearly about to say "a god," and she's identified repeatedly as the
> "green goddess."  Although traditionally an angel is "lower" than a
> god, I think here an angel would be higher--Cassie's on the plane of
>
> the Overcyns.
>
> That seems like a good analogy. She became as powerful in her own way as
Able was in "The Wizard." Some people called him an Overcyn. Angels were on
the next plane up, above Skai, and directly associated with the true God.

I'm also interested in what powers she retained, and new skills she gained,
as Margaret. She may have learned to walk unseen. I say that because there
was a doorman on guard at the Pine Crest Towers and the shooter seems to
have gotten past him without trouble. Also, when Chase first looked toward
his attacker, it only says he saw "the muzzle of the gun" (82).

If Margaret was the one, she had to have rapid healing. The shooter got a
deep cut to the face, so that there was "gore everywhere" (87). The cleaver
was covered with blood (88). Yet Margaret showed up only fifteen minutes
late with no apparent damage. If she could dance like the Volcano God she
was capable of great speed and leaps higher than a person's head (286).

She was also wilder inside, liberated from human morality. I have to wonder
in what state she left Gideon back on Woldercan. She seems to have stolen a
great deal of hopper fuel, if not Gideon's government hopper itself, in
order to make the time hop. She had to kill him again in the past to get a
happy ending, but why not get some vengeance right away?