(urth) Gideon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Jan 15 00:12:48 PST 2009

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> I don't think she *can* escape her fate, and that is the way Wolfe intended
> it to be.

In spite of all the time-changing ideas I put in my previous post, I
think you're absolutely right. In a Lovecraftian world there are no
do-overs.

The repeat will be stable... but Margaret isn't sure of that at first.
She could tell herself, "I have free will -- the last time the shot
missed a vital spot, but I have a chance to kill Gideon Chase."

Remember that scene in the living room, where Cassie and Margaret are
watching the news together (pp. 86-89). Margaret controls the MUTE
button. In "MUTE" two children struggle to escape the grounds of the
house where their father died, and there is a moment of horror when we
realize there is no way out -- that all their work has brought them back
to the exact same place. The two copies of Cassie wait for the news,
each hoping for a different outcome. Margaret hears the exact same thing
has happened as before, and she has lost.

A robin fighting its reflection is a picture of futility. When Cassie
asks "Have you ever wanted to help out somebody you loved, and known
that the only thing you could do for him was some tiny stupid thing that
was a lot of trouble? And done it anyway? Any of you?" (p. 112), we can
now see a world of pain in the two-word sentence: "Margaret nodded."

There's one more scene that takes on new meaning. On the hopper flight
with Gib, Margaret pretends she has never hopped before and fakes a
great fear of flying (pp. 154-156). It's an excuse to keep her eyes
closed for the whole trip. She doesn't want Gib to see in her eyes how
much she hates him, and to see the triumph in his look back at her.

With this reading, many of the objections to the book fall apart. Is it
disjointed, with no connection from the madcap beginning to the dark
horror ending? No, it's all horror, tied together by Cassie and
Margaret. Does it end abruptly, giving no idea what will happen to
Cassie? No, as Paul Harvey says: "Now we know... the rest of the story."