(urth) Fantasy Casting Thread

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Jan 14 16:50:51 PST 2009

>>> on that note, maybe we should start a "fantasy casting" thread.
>>> I've been casting actors from all ages into the roles of BotNS. Since my
>>> motives are for illustrations and not a movie (*shudder*) I've been casting
>>> from any era.  I'd be interested in what others would think, though it
>>> should be it's own thread I suppose.  As a teaser, I'll say I like a young
>>> Sigourney Weaver as Thecla and an OLD Clint Eastwood as Malrubius.
>>
>> What fun!  A young Keanu Reeves for Severian?
>
>Keanu Reeves isn't sympathetic enough to play a torturer. No, really.
>
>Silk: A young Robert Redford
>Marble and Mint: CGI with unknowns as voiceovers
>Crane: Geoffrey Rush - don't laugh, look at him as Trotsky in "Frida"
>Blood: Alfred Molina
>
>Severian: is really hard to cast. Viggo Mortensen might almost work but
>     not quite. Maybe Mandy Patinken ca. "Princess Bride"?
>Jolenta: Selma Hayek
>Dorcas: Anne Hathaway, but a bit older
>Dr. Talos: Jonathan Frid
>Baldanders: another hard one; a body builder of some sort, magicked
>    even larger by the wonders of SFX. But not Ahnold.
>Jonas: Bruce Boxleitner
>
>Someone else take over here.
>--
>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant

Jonathin Frid is a good suggestion for Talos, as well as young Redford for Silk.

Currently I have:
Severian: Christian Bale
Palaemon: Max von Sydow
Malrubius: Clint Eastwood (Gran Torino age)
Hethor: John Malkovich  (Brad Douriff would be another choice, if obvious)
Vodalus: A younger Terrence Stamp
Dorcas: young Judy Bowker
Agia: Nicole Kidman
Cyriaca:  middle aged Susan Sarandon