(urth) Gideon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Jan 13 11:24:46 PST 2009

John Watkins wrote:

> I like the Cassie = Margaret theory a lot more than I like the "two
> Bills" theory.  This comic book stuff with "Robin" has basically
> convinced me.
>
> Note that the first female Robin in the comics was Carrie Kelly.

Thanks, I'm glad someone else finds this convincing. I didn't know about
Carrie Kelly  -- the name sounds a lot like Cassie Casey, doesn't it?

Here are a couple more references I picked up:

1) "A mountain whose wife washed clothes?" (pp. 41-42, 83). This needs a
meaning in the book's context, besides the reference to the Cory Doctorow
novel "Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town." Reis is associated with
the Volcano God, so he is the mountain. His wife (common-law) was Cassie.
Margaret described herself as an "expert seamstress and laundress." It's
interesting that Margaret is the only person Cassie asks about this strange
washerwoman. The reference is forced into the conversation a bit awkwardly,
and all Margaret can do is respond "A dream?" (83).  It was indeed Cassie's
dream that got her to this state.

2) Klauser suggests that the younger Cassie was the clone child of the
now-older Cassie. This foreshadows the relationship of Cassie and Margaret
as temporal clones. Also, "Cassiopeia weeps for her children" -- both the
children she didn't have with Bill, and her lost younger self. Cassie will
try to "get her back," and one way to do that would be to go back in time
and try to fix things.