(urth) Gideon

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Mon Jan 12 21:22:23 PST 2009

Dave Tallman wrote:

> I'd rather not call Cassie's change a glamour. It was a magnification of
> her natural star-power. (If it were a glamour like the one Gid used to
> be Gib it wouldn't show up in pictures).

I understand the distinction you mean, and we can call Cassie's change mojo
or whatever if you like, but it still amounts to a glamour. It may not wash
off, like Gil's, but the change wrought by Gid on her was not permanent and
was never going to be permanent, even if she had not gotten herself stranded
in harsh conditions on that island. And Gid had the power to reverse it.
(81) What he did for her was much like what Talos had done with Jolenta,
only the loss of the mojo left Cassie in a much worse physical state than
she would have been in had she never had it. In other words, there was a
price to be paid for the mojo that she didn't know about.

[snip]
> I find the idea that Cassie would try to get Rian as a substitute for
> the man she loves quite repulsive. I hope that isn't the answer. I find
> a better solution with time-travel clones.

I understand your revulsion and share it. But I also find the time-travel
"clone" theory fraught with problems.

-Roy