(urth) Gideon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sun Jan 11 05:44:25 PST 2009

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> At the start of the novel, Gid seems to be a pulp hero, but he faded out of
> the last quarter of the story. Reis started out as an old-time villain, but
> by the end of the story he seemed to be fighting the good fight, even though
> tainted by personal aggrandizement.

Gideon's character, and Cassie's understanding of it, seem to be
critical in understanding the end of the book. What is she hoping to
achieve by visiting Woldercan? How much help does she expect from
Gideon? How much will he give her?

Here are some hints:
1) Before Reis died, Cassie thought of Chase as a "good, good man" (p.
202). (Gideon doesn't believe in telling people such things, but he
chose not to contradict her).
2) After her return from exile, Cassie seems much more cautious and
hostile concerning Chase. She "rehearsed a thousand times" (p. 293) her
request for information from Miskatonic University.
3) Cassie received an welcoming ethermail from Chase, but it seems she
might not have notified him she was coming if it hadn't been for the
time paradox (p. 298).
4) She seeks independent advice on Woldercan from Klauser instead of
relying on Chase.
5) Her final outbursts are focussed exclusively on Bill/Wally (p. 301).

I would say that her former trust in Gideon is gone. She will use him,
if he lets her, to get back her mojo. Whether Chase helps or not, she
will try to regain her power and the associated reality-warping
abilities (documented in the "Cassie's mobile home" thread) to bring
Reis back. She will be Venus to his Adonis if she can.