(urth) Gideon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Jan 8 06:00:05 PST 2009

> Gid used Reis' ego to engineer his downfall. That's the beauty of it. Reis
> would set himself up to fail, with a little nudge from Gid and help from
> Gid's friends in high places.
>
> If Gid was aware of Reis's scheme to get the Navy to do the dirty work, then
> that would be a very good reason not to come to the island to pick up
> Cassie. The tempest might strike at any time, as it did. When Gid delivered
> Cassie to the island, he told her the secret of his success: "Never set
> yourself up to fail. Never!" (223)

If Chase was aware of Reis' scheme (whether or not he suggested it), and
did nothing for Cassie other than possibly give her the eleventh-hour
airlift by Death's Visitors, he appears in a far more sinister light
than I've been seeing him. It's plausible, and there are a couple of
other hints. "Give me some time to blow the man down" (p. 101) fits as
an ironic pun, since Reis perished as the result of high winds. "The
devil's son is born tonight," could mean Gideon is the devil and the son
is his plan come to fruition.

In an interview, Wolfe said the book was about freedom, and Gideon was
the most free character. That could mean the one most unconstrained by
morality. Queen Cassiopeia was the least free, eventually becoming a
literal puppet for the will of her people.