(urth) Chough Parks

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Jan 7 21:37:44 PST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Tim Walters wrote:
> You should come down to my local green/art spot, the amazing and
> little-known Cayuga Park/Playground, not far away from you:
>
> http://sanfrancisco.about.com/od/sfparks/ig/Cayuga-Park/
>
> Bring the kid, he'll love it.

Oh, that looks cool. dig the sculptures. definitely going to check
that out. thanks for pointing it out.

On Jan 7, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Stuart Hamm wrote:

> Charlotte had her socer game s@ mcCalren last year..isn't that near
> the golf course where people are robbed and killed
>
> I love SF

I don't know about the golf course (the sort of things I loathe) but
yeah, it's a bit crazy over here. I'm about 8 blocks from where the
Bologna family was slaughtered in their car last year. It was up in
the neighborhood.  Good neighborhood for fireworks though! all sorts
of expensive illegal stuff shooting off on any day that could possibly
warrant fireworks.

On Jan 7, 2009, at 7:24 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:

> The Bible (along with The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories
> and a good dictionary) is all you'll ever really need to understand
> Wolfe:
>

> Oreb
>
> But Silk's Oreb is also clearly the Odin-like familiar of a witch,
> god, or prophet. Shakespeare referenced ravens in this sense:

yeah, those and Wikipedia. ;-)
not having read the whole thing, I sense you're right about familiar
vs harbinger.

On Jan 7, 2009, at 7:01 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:

> I propose a "hacking" of choughs. Or a "wheezing"?

Nice work there David.

On Jan 7, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Allan Anderson wrote:

> Makes me think of the ravens in The Hobbit, and the few Dwarves and
> Dalemen who remembered the ravenspeak

oddly enough, that's the part I just finished reading my son moments
ago (nighty night) , but it turns out that it's a Thrush, not a raven
that they know the tongues of, mentioned after Bilbo's scorching near
escape, a thrush is listening to his tale before Smaug comes and
smotes the mountain, sealing them in.   As I read it, I made an aside,
saying "that came up today", and my son, the sharp little sprat said
"yeah, when Perseus talked with the robot owl."  We'd been watching
Clash of the Titans earlier, his first time.  when he said "yeah," I
was wondering what the hell he was gonna say. the aptness surprised
me.  kids have memories like steel traps compared to my addled noodle.

nighty night.
~witz