(urth) Chrasmologic

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Jan 7 17:15:00 PST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Allan Anderson wrote:

> Son of Witz wrote:
>> Proofreader.
>> Not a job for me.  As a designer, I'm thrilled one of my colleagues
>> is a UCSB Valedictorian. I give her everything, even my weirdo
>> album projects.
>> I considered for a brief second doing a proofreading of those pdfs.
>> no fuckin way.  Since it's OCR, the punctuation is the most
>> problematic, and one of the harder things to proofread since we
>> tend to read punctuation subliminally.
>>
>> While I was writing about laughs in Long Sun, I forgot to mention
>> Oreb.  loving that damn bird. Do you pronounce Chough as "Chuff"
>> "Choff" "Coff" "Cuff"????   I live right near a huge park and we've
>> got fat ravens and crows all over the neighborhood.  My son and I
>> have seen them catching rats and scarfing down on our neighbors'
>> roofs.  I love their obnoxious cackles. If I could have a talking
>> raven, I would. Fuck a parrot.  This is a Shakespeare allusion, no?
>> talking ravens? I remember that from somewhere.
>>
>> ~wtiz
>>

> Makes me think of the ravens in The Hobbit, and the few Dwarves and
> Dalemen who remembered the ravenspeak.
>
> I guess it goes back to Odin's Hugin and Munin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugin_and_Munin
>  -- I fear for Thought, but more for Memory.
>
> I saw some serious-looking big black birds at Alamo Square last
> month. Maybe these were some of your friends.

Thanks for Hugin and Munin.  I hadn't met them yet.
Odin could handle thoughtlessness but not forgetfulness, I guess.

I don't remember that in the Hobbit.  Slowly making my way through it
with my son. I'll watch for that.

Alamo Square?  I wish that was the park I lived by. I like it over
there by the Painted Ladies.  I'm next to John McClaren, the huge,
forgotten ghost town of a park, no one there but joggers, dog walkers,
and ghosts.  But SF has seen the Raven population more or less
dominate the crows which used to be more prevalent.  They're as big as
cats. I remember a story about 10 years ago where a woman walking her
little dog to Ocean Beach had a murder of ravens attack her dog to
death while crossing the dunes.  If I remember right they actually
lifted it off the ground.  (wait, wikiP says it's "an unkindness of
Ravens".   an "unkindness" ?  sounds way too polite.)

~witz