(urth) Ansible Interview

Jordon Flato jordonflato at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:20:34 PST 2009

I've heard that shade-as-pulse along the Sun theory before, but had written
it off, because I'd assumed it meant that an entire chunk of the Whorl (in
cross section) would be in darkness at the same time (i.e. an entire section
of the length of the Long Sun would be in darkness while farther west/east a
portion would be in sunlight), and the fact that the brightness of the
skylands overhead is mentioned repeatedly meant this could not be the case.
The area above viron is in bright sunlight (albiet very very far away) when
it's night for Viron.

However, the idea of the shade being a spiral sent along the length could
resolve that.  It would have to be a revolving spiral though, because of all
of the talk about the crack of sun left from the shade rising or setting
(occluding) the shade.  So, we could have a sort of spinning spiral of shad
constantly being sent down the pole of the sun, like a barbers pole?

Certainly though the shade is not sent out in discreet chunks which cover
the entirety of a section of the suns length at any time.  If that were the
case, you would see nothing above you at all but the lights from distant
cities, not rivers, valley's mountains and whatnot....