(urth) Inhuma continued

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:57:22 PST 2009

>>What of the inhumas' ability to fly through the void?  Is this a lie or can they survive in space?

>I've always thought it was a lie.

Although I think Wolfe *does* have characters lie and never get called on it, I think the story is true. There's simply no other way IMO that Blue could be inundated with inhumi attacks if they had to depend on landers for all of them to get to Blue. I think the lander is how the inhumus (male inhumi) arrive. Jahlee (IIRC) says the void of space journey is pretty risky and many or most don't make it.

There is *some* atmosphere well out in space and where the atmospheres of the planets intersect I guess there's twice as much.

>Plus, I'd always gotten the impression that the end of OBW with
>the inhumi flying the lander pretty much put the lie to that idea.

I think the purpose of the lander was to get new humans to Green. But of course the inhumu would require them as well.

But, anyway, they got to the Whorl originally with the help of the the Neighbors. The most dependable way would be for a Neighbor to have grabbed an inhumi and Dream-Traveled there, and then traveled via lander to Green and back.

Hmmm...on the other hand, the inhumi can't see the light of the stars. Can they see Green and Blue in the sky??

J.

P.S.
I suspect the maturation process of inhumi is pretty short for various reasons, but I haven't used any math to test my opinion.