(urth) AEG: Margaret

stoneox17 at aol.com stoneox17 at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 13:07:54 PST 2009

Roy wrote

> > 7) As a musical, the play would normally have a happy ending of some
> > sort. But there could be a twist. One would expect Mariah to end up
with
> > the sailor, but Reis named him "Mr. Sharpy" (a sharper, a confidence
> > trickster). He was the parallel to Chase. Since the play was
intended to
> > send a message to Chase, Mariah probably ended up with the Volcano
God.

> The scene where Cassie is sitting in the back of Wally's car and he
shows
> her a vid image of her in the play may foreshadow the dance in the
beach
> scene near the end of the book. But I can't quite make sense of it
and the
> quoted lines from the song just makes it more confusing. (145) (The
vid was
> taken before Gid/Gil joined the cast.)

> Right after the song quotes:
> "She clasped hands with her soul, and the two began to dance.
> "Her images vanished." [To be replaced by Reis's face.]

> In that scene from the play, which character was she dancing with,
and is
> the real-life person that character represents somehow Mariah's
(Cassie's)
> "soul" mate? We know the main male dancer was Sharpy, but she (or
they) also
> danced with the play's Volcano God. So is there a scene in the play
where
> Mariah dances with just the Volcano God?

> Or is there a scene where Mariah dances alone, and the audience is
meant to
> assume she is dancing with an unseen Volcano God? That vid bit is
confusing,
> but I don't think that any vid was actually used in the play's
presentation,
> such that Mariah is seen on the stage dancing with a hologram of
herself.

> Also, when Cassie asked the island Vince if he remembered the play's
banquet
> and all, he said no.

When it says "Her images vanished," doesn't this mean she has to be
dancing
with herself (probably a hologram, as Roy suggests). In real life, this
has to
correspond to Cassie and Margaret. So this is a hint that Margaret is
really
the post-Woldercon Cassie. But does it mean anything symbolically for
Margaret to be Cassie's soul?

Any thoughts?

Peter