(urth) Ansible Interview

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 12:00:09 PST 2009

Remember that I am only trying to explain that Wolfe has not defied physics
in having Silk see shadows in some valleys. I think I've got everyone to
admit that it is possible so long one abandon's preconceptions about the way
the Whorl looks.

Jeff:
>That would require tipping the base at a greater than complimentary
>angle with the slope of the mountain, that is, a degree for every degree
>short of a sheer, vertical cliff, and then more according to how much
>shadow you want. Unless you begin with a cartoonishly steep mountain,
>your valley floor ends up tilted as much as a conventional mountain
>slope on earth, making it very unvalley-like. And you still have to
>answer, what's holding this mountain up?

I imagine mountains that look like the peaks of the Alps. Perhaps the Alps
are cartoonishly steep, but the mountains approaching the ships deck are
intended to make passage difficult. On the other hand, you could have a
mountain that is positively sheer only on one side that over-looks a valley.
That would accomplish the same thing. Or a deep valley with steep sides as
well.

Jeff:
>Are you privy to the particular "hollowing-out" process used? There are
>several, even now.

Are you? I would guess it did not involve a circular cutting drill like they
use to make subways. I presume they used lots of explosives and then
smoothed things out as necessay with bull-dozing equipment. Various tracts
would be assigned a project number and date for completion.

Tim:
> If it doesn't point straight up, it can't be fully
> symmetrical, as one side will be longer than the other.

Is there something in the text that states the mountains are symetrical? On
Earth, at the peaks of mountains it is not uncommon for onside to be sheer
and the other side to slope.