(urth) Fiction and Wolfe's personal beliefs

Chris P rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 22:21:02 PST 2009

I would say that while it is not a master-key, it is something that allows dimensions of interpretation that would otherwise be unavailable, and that seem to have a substantial foundation in some of his texts.

Another thing I could say that might be more controversial, though I think most people on this list accept it, is that Wolfe is a writer (and certainly there have been many of them) that attempts to use his writing to display a sort of moral truth. The truth doesn't necessarily have to be literally in what he says, but it is *shown* in one way or another, and sometimes (obviously) very indirectly. And generally speaking most of us think that an interpretation of Wolfe that lacks this aspect - or pushes it out to a marginal/trivial position - is deficient in some way.

--
"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set." -- Lin Yutang