(urth) Silk corrupted?

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:46:43 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:

> I concede, of course, that the Bible takes precedence as a literary work in
> both stature and history, so Severian and Jesus can never really be
> coequals. But please let's dispense with the notion---the assumption---that
> there can only be a single Christ in all of human literature. It's an
> indefensible position.

Agreed. Writers are free to create as many Christs as they choose, and
to make them theoanthropoi, divine, etc.

What is key here is that we are interpreting a work by a writer who
takes the position that Jesus was a unique historical figure, the sole
Theoanthropos and Redeemer, an event which will not and *can* not
be repeated. This is *Wolfe's* position, and to interpret his work in
a way that violates this position is to do that work a violence which
I cannot condone.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----

I once absend-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a
restaurant and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand
Island Dressing and a bottle of chili sauce. -- T. Pratchett