(urth) Ansible Interview

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Jan 22 04:34:45 PST 2009

Of course, those are distinct multiple light sources, right? Here, we'd have a smooth curve of an infinite number of light sources. But the light sources would be close---closer than the SUN---so perhaps there would in fact be a significant shadow effect.

I don't pretend to know, I just think we know enough to bring the observation into the realm of the artistically possible. Which still doesn't explain Wolfe's flat rejection of it.

I forgot the other possibility that you alluded to. If the LS is in fact not a narrow cylinder but 2 narrow, thin panels set back to back, then there would be some lessening of light output near dawn and dusk, at the very edges. This would lead to some dimming, but not to more shadows. Just stronger ones, perhaps---the overwhelming effect of permanent noon would be reduced. And dawn would still seem to snap up like a windowshade.

I suppose it would be risky to make your sun a single huge fluorescent tube. Where would you get a replacement if it broke? ;)

Message: 5