(urth) Ansible Interview

Jordon Flato jordonflato at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 14:55:17 PST 2009

Witz said:

"the fact that the Shade is not opaque, since you can see the skylands in
the first place, so there would be additional reflected light."

Shade not opaque?  How do you figure that?  Maybe I don't understand you
completely.  My understanding would be a big rotating strip that circles the
beam of the sun so that when one half of the sun is completely covered, the
other half is in full light.  That way, the skylands are like seeing the
other half of the Whorl, above you, in full sunlight, but so far away, that
it doesn't completely reflect the light back to you making it day time.
It's obvious that there is way more ambient light in the Whorl than in our
normal earth during Nightside, but why do you say the shade is not opaque?