(urth) 3rd Cue's a Charm?

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sun Jan 18 02:15:19 PST 2009

> Guys, come on.  I mean, really.  A two page scat joke by Wolfe?
> After everything the man has written, after all the forum's discussions
> about his religious beliefs and how these pervade his stories, after
> considering his generally serious nature and how when he does display humor
> it is sometimes dry but almost always clean -- I really can't bring
> myself to believe Wolfe would do such a thing.  I can picture Wolfe
> rolling his eyes at that interpretation.

But he does have a sense of humor, and a pretty strange one. I think
it's a mistake we Wolfe interpreters make sometimes, to fail to use our
sense of humor.

> Besides, those connections ARE extremely weak.  <snip> And to go from "chair" to "throne"...and then leap
> to "toilet"?

Borski's key to many of these references is to look for words that sound
like "cue": coot, cootie, cutie, queue, etc. Toilets are often jokingly
called thrones, so that's no extra leap at all.

> Consider the sex change of BB1 in the penultimate paragraph.
> What in the world does this have to do with a scatological reading?  Why
> would Wolfe bother with this detail if his intention was to tell a crap
> joke?

The sex-change makes perfect sense as part of a toilet joke, and no
sense otherwise. From what point-of-view are a male and female body
identical? The person attached to BB1 was female, but from the
perspective of the cootie it didn't matter. The "bed" pun suggests the
cooties will be spread further by sex. The "quarter" suggests the coins
used to enter a pay toilet.