(urth) Calde of the Long Sun and Learning to Read Wolfe

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:05:58 PST 2009

This reminds me of an interesting point that was addressed on the list
briefly, but inconclusively if I remember correctly.  That being, who really
got the ball rolling on "Silk for Calde"?  As far as plausible motives, the
ones considered were unknown confederates of Tussah for somewhat obvious
reasons, and Quetzal for less obvious ones (he somehow had to have
foreknowledge that Silk would have the best shot at starting the
evacuation).  The other possibilities are the Neighbors, who also
infiltrated the Whorl as per RttW (and have reason to support the evacuation
too), and common folk who all of a sudden became very impressed with Silk
(but why?!)
Is there any conclusive evidence out there?

Paul