(urth) Calde of the Long Sun and Learning to Read Wolfe

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Jan 14 09:04:21 PST 2009

Just finished Calde of the Long Sun.
what a read!
I haven't searched the list yet, in order to avoid spoilers,but I can't find anything to define "Calde".
I'm not clear if Calde is a higher office than Prolocutor.
Obviously it's the theocratic civil ruler, but I'm not clear on the hierarchy.
Is Calde like a Bishop/Mayor or a Pope/Emperor?  the book doesn't exactly make it clear.  The fact that it's specific to Viron makes me think it's like a Bishop/Mayor role, and that the Prolocutor is the equivalent to a Pope for the whole whorl.
any help?

thanks
~witz