(urth) Gideon

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 09:08:26 PST 2009

> He *is* described as a Guest on Earth on the very first page, and we *do*
> have a title for the book, you know.
>
> Now: if we take "Freedom" to be a stand-in for "Evil"--what does that tell
> us about the *previous* novel?

Nothing we didn't already know, really.  The freedom of the pirates is
pretty clearly used for evil.

I am wondering, however, what place An Evil Guest has in Wolfe's body
of work.  I think it's fair to consider Pirate Freedom and The Wizard
Knight as paired novels in a sense--boys' adventure stories featuring
protagonists from what is basically our world heading into a world of
genre, both of whom are heavily shaped by the moral choices they make
(in contrasting manners.)  Both stories also has sort of parallel
pieces in Wolfe's short fiction--Golden City Far and A Cabin on the
Coast.

An Evil Guest is different.  I probably need to read Memorare stat to
understand exactly what relationship it has with Wolfe's other works.