(urth) Long Sun Laughs

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Jan 7 09:22:55 PST 2009

I'm midway through Lake of the Long Sun, and loving this series so far.  At this point, it seems much more straightforward than BotNS, but, of course, there is all sorts of suspicious stuff under the surface.

no spoilers please, I've skipped over all the Long Sun / Silk discussions.
I think I picked up a few already.  Somewhere I heard the whorl was a generation starship, and that seems to be, though I don't think you're supposed to know for sure as you're reading it.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to post about it at this point because this book seems also a lot funnier than BotNS.
There is something really hilarious about Dr. Crane's wrapping.  The fact that they have to kick it, and flog it, beat it and lash it.  too funny. it strikes me as some sort of sublimated twist on self flagellation. I laugh every time he does it, this strange violent pause in the middle of business.

but I laughed my ass off this morning, walking down Cyril Magnin, reading this passage in Lake.
"Men and women, made of mud (originally by the Outsider, according to one somewhat doubtful passage in the Writings) turned to dust at last."

"Somewhat doubtful"  LOL!!!!!!!

I'll spare anyone my speculations at this point, but I am wondering about if there is a difference between the Chrasmological Writings and the Charismatic Writings, or if "Charismatic" was a typo. At least one point he mentions the Chrasmatists, so I thought maybe wolfe just had a brain-fart that the editors didnt' notice.  There's at least one of those in NewSun, typo or brain-fart, regarding the Amphisbaena, where "hand" is written instead of "head"

all right, this post probably isn't useful to anyone, but I had to talk about this book a bit.  It's going to be interesting to read the archives here about Long Sun.