(urth) AEG: Cassie in love

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sun Jan 4 04:38:35 PST 2009

Mo Holkar wrote:
> But not a land where one can conduct personal vendettas -- that's the
> point I was trying (rather unclearly) to make. When she arrives there
> Cassie will have to accept things as they are, not hope to try and
> influence them.

Mortals can kill other mortals in Fairyland; Hwan Lee shot Jose Balanco
in "Castleview." Mortals can also kill monsters there; Able killed
Grengarm in "The Knight."

On the other hand, I don't really believe the vendetta theory. My
assessment is that Gideon Chase isn't on the side of Chtulhu. The winged
Death's Visitors seem to be his allies (one appears to assist in
Cassie's transformation on p. 43: "Behind him: great, dark wings.") The
creatures warn Cassie about the Squid God and save her life. They tell
her "Trust those who love you... Only them" (p. 235). That seems to mean
to trust only them, along with Bill Reis and Gideon Chase.

Reis seems to have brought his troubles on himself. Chase didn't make
him set the Navy on the Storm King. His only responsibility is that Reis
wouldn't have loved Cassie (and wanted to attack those who endangered
her) without Chase's help. Cassie surely cannot want revenge for that.