(urth) mystery of the guild

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Feb 11 08:21:38 PST 2009

True. But that was after they had known Severian for quite some time.

Still. Perhaps it's the masks that make them seem detached.

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:09:27 -0000
From: "O'Donnell, Tim (BOSI)" <Tim.O'Donnell at bankofscotland.ie>
Subject: (urth) mystery of the guild
To: <urth at urth.net>

I always thought of the Hieros as quite emotional for instance the below when Severian meets Famulimus for the first time.

The being Dr. Talos had introduced as Famulimus spoke. [...[ "Welcome," it sang. "There is no greater joy for us,
than greeting you, Severian. You bow to us in courtesy, but we to you will bend our knees." And he did briefly kneel, as did both the others.

I always read that joyful as sincere but then when I scanned the text they do come off as quite detached throughout making the reading more interesting for me.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090211-0, 02/11/2009
Tested on: 2/11/2009 11:21:39 AM