(urth) mystery of the guild

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Feb 11 00:39:23 PST 2009

O'Donnell, Tim (BOSI) wrote:
> However, I seem to recall that Severian mentions that his Guild had two
> secrets and that he would betray both over his narrative.  One is
> certainly "We obey" but I don't think the other one is mentioned directly.

That's not much of a secret, is it? Their showmanship at public
excruciations seems to include a bit of put-on bloodthirstiness, but
they perform as ordered anyway.

At times I have speculated "the secret is only that we torturers obey"
means the object of their obedience is a secret, not the obedience itself.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >